Friday, July 28, 2006

GIVE ME BBQ OR GIVE ME DEATH

Oh barbeque, how thy absence makes my heart grow fonder! And by the way, these aren't BBQ but I hope you bastards in Minnesota will eat here for me: Sea Salt Eatery and Pop's Family Cafe. If I still had a spleen to speak of I would probably tear it out for some good old American food like this right now.

Those of you up to date are well aware of my failure to procure daily food-related entries this week. Yeah, well. I do have much better news, however: I've hustled up a new apartment and even a future roommate for us! The place is super nice with a decent kitchen (by Parisian standards), a pleasant neighborhood, and even hundreds and hundreds of books of English and French literature. Unfortunately it is drastically inconvenient for my commute and I will be losing a barrel-load of money from doubling up on rent between it and Planet Finet for 2 months... you can't win 'em all I guess. The roommate will be an as-yet-unseen Canadian girl who sounds very nice and shares many interests with us.

But returning to barbeque (really, don't all roads lead back to barbeque?)... in the spirit of my previous Breakfast Joint Menu, I now submit my Barbeque Shack Menu-- indeed these are the first in a potential series of menus. The following has been rattling around in my head for many months, as are very well aware ye fellow Aurigans......

THE GOODS (aka PLEASURES OF THE FLESH)
All smoked insanely long, of course.
Spare ribs... just salt and pepper or dry-rub
Beef ribs... just salt and pepper
Chicken... dry-rub or extra spicy
Brisket... Flicker style.
Pulled pork sandwich... choose the sauce

Non-smoked Goods...
Spicy fried catfish with real tartar sauce
The Line Cook Basket: fried chicken livers with fries-- Crystal hot sauce a must!
Cornmeal-fried oyster po'boy
Buffalo wings-- done really well. And killer blue cheese sauce.
Good corndogs. I'm serious.

Sauces
you know, pretty much the standards... thick and sweet; extra spicy; Texas-style vinegar; chipotle-raspberry aioli (ha- JUST KIDDING)

Sides
Skin-on mashed potatoes with chicken gravy
Loaded potato salad... extra pickles, eggs, celery
Spicy jojo potatoes
Skin-on fries
Baked beans with Nueske's bacon
Cider braised collard greens
Coleslaw
Cornbread (northern style)
Best ever buttermilk biscuits
Blackened succotash
Hushpuppies
Very soft white buns

Dessert
Sweet Potato Pie with candied ginger
Pecan tart- like the pie but less devastating
Coconut cream pie
Deep dish apple pie
Very dark chocolate brownie
Seasonal fruit cobbler or crisp

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Juliette!

Happy birthday to you! Late.
I have been enjoying your narrative of your adventures with the Evil Queen Finet and The Princess Beast. I hope it has a happy ending.

Sean and I are going to have our own adventure this week and drive to Winnipeg for a few days.

I bought tickets for a ghost tour of the town and we are staying at a hotel downtown that is supposed to be haunted. I hope our adventure doesn't include an evil antagonist like your's has.

Do your encounter much anti-american static there? When your mom and I were in Toronto I was very self-conscience about being 'merican but it was for the A.A. convention so there were quite a few of us in town.

You will have to cook for all of us when you get back (when is that?) the menus you created almost make me want to start eating meat again.

Stay safe and come home in one piece.

peace :-)