Thursday, April 06, 2006

RUNGIS



I have nothing witty to say about Rungis. It simply blew my mind. It is the largest fresh product market in the whole world, which, as you can see in the photo above, is essentially a city in and of itself.
Many more pictures will be posted on Flickr. I put a link to the Rungis website on the right, and it's also right here.
Got up at 2:15 am, got a cab, went to another student's place where we were picked up by yet another student, went to the school, got on a big charter bus, and got to the market at about 4:30 or so. The photos below reflect the circuit we made: fish/seafood, red meat, poultry and charcuterie, triperie (I didn't post photos here of the triperie because I'm sure they are more upsetting images to some people), fruits and vegetables, flowers, cheese and finally "lunch" at about 8am in one of the 24 restaurants --and I don't mean like booths or a food court-- that are at the market (all of whose quality is on par with the wares in the pavillions, but the prices are low-- they are the antithesis of a tourist trap).
Afterwards, we visited the Pré Catalan restaurant and reception rooms, which was crazy. After that, we visited two Lenôtre boutiques, of which I didn't really take pictures because I'll have 6 months to photograph their (my) products.
An insane day.

No comments: